By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Patradana means overlaying with leaves. This can be a distinctive measure adopted in overlaying the injuries / ulcers on which the medicinal pastes are utilized. Over the leaves the bandaging of wounds and ulcers are executed. This technique of surgical dressing has been defined within the context of Shashti Upakrama i.e. 60 sorts of remedy defined by Grasp Sushruta within the first chapter of Chikitsa Sthana part. All these 60 therapies are helpful for treating the ulcers and likewise to forestall their problems. These 60 sorts of therapies are included in 7 forms of therapies referred to as Sapta Upakrama which Sushruta has talked about within the Sutra Sthana Part (Chapter 17).
Vaikrutapaha is the seventh remedy amongst these 7 therapies. Vaikrutapaha means eradicating the deformities attributable to the ulcers and wounds. This can be a type of beauty rebuilding of the ulcer space and to advertise therapeutic in a complete manner. Vaikrutapaha includes of 26 sorts of therapies amongst which Patradana is one.
Learn – Sushruta’s 7 Types of Treatments Sapta Upakrama
Beneath talked about are the circumstances wherein the ulcers / wounds should be coated with leaves –
- Sthiranam – motionless ulcers / wounds
- Alpa mamsanam – ulcers / wounds coated with much less muscle tissues, the muscle tissues would have gotten destroyed on account of ulcers / wounds as a complication
- Raukshyaad anuparohataam – wounds / ulcers which haven’t healed on account of excessive dryness in them
Within the above mentioned circumstances the ulcers / wounds are coated by the leaves. That is executed in accordance to the doshas concerned and the prevailing seasons. Leaves having medicinal properties shall be coated on the injuries after having utilized medicinal pastes on them.
Within the above talked about circumstances, first the medicinal pastes are utilized on the ulcer / wound. Subsequent the ulcer / wound on which the medicinal paste has been utilized are coated with leaves such that the leaves cowl the paste.
Learn – Avasechana Method of Wound Care: Meaning, Types, Clinical Significance
Forms of leaves
a. In ulcers attributable to vitiated vata – the beneath talked about leaves are used for overlaying –
- Eranda Patra – leaves of Ricinus communis (castor)
- Bhurja Patra – leaves of Betula utilis
- Karanja Patra – leaves of Pongamia pinnata
- Haridra Patra – leaves of Curcuma longa (turmeric)
b. In ulcers attributable to vitiated pitta and blood – the beneath talked about leaves are used for overlaying –
- Ashvabala Patra – leaves of Medicago sativa
- Kashmari (Gambhari) Patra – Gmelina arborea
- Kshiri Vrksha Patrani – leaves of latex yielding crops / timber
- Audaka Patra – leaves of crops rising in water (like lotus and so on)
c. In ulcers attributable to vitiated kapha – the beneath talked about leaves are used for overlaying –
Qualities of leaves that are used for overlaying the ulcers and wounds
- Akarkasha – not tough
- Avichchinnam – not torn
- Ajirnam – not previous (ought to be contemporary)
- Sukumarakam – tender
- Ajantu jagdham – not infested with worms and bugs
- Mrdu – clean
Leaves used to cowl the injuries / ulcers – Causes and advantages
The beneath talked about ought to be utilized on the ulcer / wound from inside out –
- Medicinal paste straight utilized over the ulcer
- Leaves having medicinal property positioned over the medicinal paste
- Bandage tied over the leaves
If the leaves should not positioned in between the paste of drugs and bandage material, the fat and essence of medicines within the paste would come into direct contact with the bandage material and get wasted. To forestall the lack of fat and medicinal essence the leaves are layered between the paste and bandage material. Leaves are additionally utilized on the anointment / medicinal paste for inducing chilly or warmth as per want and to forestall lack of fat within the medicinal pastes as mentioned above.